Edited and written by Catherine Cunningham. Published November 7th 2021.
Original recipe by International Cuisine.
I never had a real connection to my kazakh culture, and even though I do know a couple savory dishes I know zero desserts. While this my first time making this dish it went off without a hitch! These easy peasy fried dough balls were created to symbolize the sun and happiness. They originated from Kazakhstan’s capital, Almaty when in need for the perfect every celebration dessert! It swiftly became a country’s favorite and is even served with their most loved tea, Chai tea! I loved the sweet flavor from the thick cover of sugar, and even with the simple inside it really made the dessert addicting!
2 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon of yeast
¼ cup of water
¼ cup of milk
1 Tablespoon of Butter
1 Tablespoon of sugar plus additional for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl to form dough (including the yeast).
- With a whisk and then move to a spatula to combine more thoroughly.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface and then cover the dough and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Next, heat two cups of vegetable oil in a deep skillet over high heat.
- Pull off about a tablespoon-size piece of the dough and roll into a ball.
- Then press the ball down slightly, and drop carefully into oil and fry until golden brown.
- Once golden brown, take it off the skillet and roll the ball in sugar. Make sure to dust off the extra!
- Drain on paper towels and continue until all the dough is gone.
- And enjoy!