Edited and written by Catherine Cunningham. Published October 16th 2021
Original recipes The Frayed Apron and The Spruce Eats.
¾ cup of unsalted butter, softened
⅔ cup of granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of vanilla
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of orange juice
2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
Raspberry jelly jam
For the Poppy Seed Filling:
1/4 cup of poppy seeds (ground)
4 tablespoons of milk
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
3/4 tablespoon of corn syrup (white)
4 tablespoons of sugar
4 tablespoons of butter
1/2 tablespoon of flour (all-purpose)
1 pinch of salt
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar, stop when it’s light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, salt, orange juice, and egg, it should then be creamy.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and add to the mix on low, it should be a crumbly dough.
- Knead the dough with a little bit of flour until it forms a smooth dough. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for an hour or two.
- In a medium size pot, combine all of the poppy seed filling ingredients. Bring to a boil over low heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool completely before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, if using jam, it helps to double up on parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your countertop and roll the dough until it’s about 1/4″ think. Then stamp 3″ circles. Next, spoon out a level teaspoon of jam or the poppy seed filling in the center and fold one side, then overlap with another flap, and another to form a triangle where the corners meet and press together.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the dough is lightly golden.